The Language Processing Lab is based in Department of Linguistics and Modern Languages and Brain and Mind Institute, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
We are interested in language comprehension, production and learning. The lab has the following foci in research,among others.
- Interlocutor modelling in language production and comprehension
- Handwriting literacy
- Syntactic prediction
NEWS IN THE LAB
- 29 June 2021.Our lab has a new paper accepted: Cai, Z.G., Sun, Z., & Zhao, N.(in press). Interlocutor modelling in lexical alignment: The role of linguistic competence. Journal of Memory and Language.
- 28 June 2021.Our lab has secured a teaching grant: Virtual behavioral research for humanities and social sciences (funding source: Funding Scheme for Virtual Teaching and Learning, The Chinese University of Hong Kong).
- 17 May 2021.Our lab has a new paper accepted (and congratulations to Shuting and Zebo): Cai, Z.G., Huang, S., Xu, Z., & Zhao, N.(in press). Objective ages of acquisition for 3300+ simplified Chinese characters. Behavior Research Methods.
- 13 April 2021. Shuqi Wang, who is currently doing her MA research at Peking University, was awarded the prestigous Hong Kong PhD fellowship to do a PhD in the lab. We look forward to having her here in September
- 06 April 2021. Our lab is part of a many-lab replication of the action-sentence compatibility effect, which was accepted to appear in Psychonomic Bulletin & Review.
- 23 March 2021. Our lab has a new paper accepted (and congratulations to Shuting): Huang, S., Zhou, Y., Du, M., Wang, R., & Cai, Z.G. (in press). Character amnesia in Chinese handwriting: A mega-study analysis. Language Sciences.
- 9 February 2021. Our lab has a new paper accepted (and congratulations to Shuting): Huang, S., Lin, W., Xu, M., Wang, R., & Cai, Z.G. (in press). On the tip of the pen: Effects of character-level lexical variables and handwriter-level individual differences on orthographic retrieval difficulties in Chinese handwriting. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.
- 24 December 2020. Our lab has a new paper accepted: Cai, Z.G., & Wang, R. (in press). Cross-dimensional magnitude interaction is modulated by representational noise: Evidence from space-time interaction. Psychological Research.
- 19 August 2020. Many congratulations to Xiaocong (a research asscociate in the lab), who was awarded a postdoc fellowship at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Well done!
- 18 August 2020. Many congratulations to Tianyi (an MA student in the lab), who has got a research assistant job at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Well done!
- 30 June 2020. The lab was succcessful at obtaining a GRF grant to investigate the project "Rational interlocutor modelling in language comprehension and production".
- 28 May 2020. Yufeng Wu, who is currently finishing his MA degree in the lab, was made, and accepted, an offer of a research assistant position at the University of Macau.
- 12 May 2020. Our lab has a new paper accepted: Wang, M., Cai, Z.G., Wang, R., Branigan, H.P., & Pickering, M.J. (in presss). How do phonology and orthography feedback to influence syntactic encoding in language production? Evidence from structural priming in Mandarin. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology.
- 15 April 2020. Dave Haslett, a past MA student in the lab, was offered a Hong Kong PhD fellowship to do his PhD research in the lab. Xufeng Duan, a current MA student in the lab, was offered a studentship to do his PhD research in the lab.
JOINING THE LAB
- Postdoc position available The lab is looking for a postdoc or research assistant with good experience in fMRI/EEG/eyetracking/, or with experience in Bayesian modelling. If you have such skills, please send your CV to zhenguangcai(at)cuhk.edu.hk.
- PhD application If you want to do a PhD at the lab (and in the Department of Linguistics and Modern Languages), please send us an email. We are only interested in applicants with a strong empirical/computational background.